dk or Purpose Inc Appeared In:

August 21 2010

Converting Sony Files To Mac MOV files

Written by / Posted in video / 10 Comments

In case you haven’t noticed, all of the big internet marketers have made the switch to using video. In fact, I can barely type anymore!

If you read the reviews, Sony makes some of the most bad ass cameras, especially if you want to have an easy to use wireless microphone.

You can see lots of videos we have made recently over at dkthinktank.com If you have half a brain, you are using a Mac. (Recently forced by Quickbooks Payroll to buy another Windows 7 computer and it sucks.)

If you use a Sony camera with a Mac you will quickly find out that the .mts files on the Sony camera, do not open in IMovie, or Camtasia on a Mac. You need to convert them into .mov files. Supposedly Sony has a lousy software that does this, but I have not seen it.

When you first put your Mac and your Sony camera together, you can use IMovie to download and convert the .mts files into .mov files which then can be edited in IMovie or Camtasia.

For some reason, after a while I, and many other users have the IMovie stop working at doing this. In my googling I was unable to find any solution to this.

Luckily I found a cool company that made a software that handles this even better than IMovie did in the first place, although much slower.

The product is called Voltaic which costs $39.99.

Once you have it installed, you can download the .mts files directly to your computer, and then convert them using Voltaic to .mov

You can set up Voltaic to do many files at once, as long as they are all in the same directory.

I put it on my Mac Pro which sits idle most of the time, and let it run overnight.

The Voltaic guys tell me that Voltaic also can repair errors in the file, that IMovie can not.

They guys there were super stoked when I contacted them, and even refunded the money I had paid them, and gave me an affiliate code.

1. Snowball said on August 21st, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Woah I didn’t know voltaic was so cheap! It’s a rad product as I have used it once before and can witness to it’s usefulness. It’s just lame that Sony doesn’t have a free converter that you can use as I’m sure not everyone uses .mts files. In fact I’m pretty sure most people, like myself, use .mov files. Either way, good review and I’m sure a lot of people will find it useful!

2. Lisakgirly said on August 21st, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I’m so glad you wrote about this! I’ve been looking for something to convert my files that’s cheap. Thanks!

3. Nick said on August 22nd, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Yes, great post! This is fabulous! I have just begun to film weekly videos that I will be releasing soon on my website and this tool will be quite useful.

4. gBop said on August 24th, 2010 at 2:03 am

I still don’t know why Sony leaves their files in MTS. One would think in today’s world they could export them .mpg or .mov, or something we could all use easily.

5. ljsurfchick said on August 26th, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Good article. It’s nice to know you’re lookin’ out. From one surfer to another, great work! Can’t wait for the next bit of technical wisdom you impart.

6. Steve C. said on September 1st, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Thanks for the post. I’m upgrading to a Sony next month.

7. flace said on September 10th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I did not know about voltaic, i have my own sony camera and have a hard time uploading videos and playing them. Why can’t Sony just go with the flow of other video formats. I will consider downloading this program, but 40$? I hope theres a cheaper one out there though.

8. mridul said on October 14th, 2010 at 10:20 am

Are any freewares not available ?????

9. jitendrakbharai said on October 10th, 2011 at 1:05 am

Hello,

Videos are the way to go these days.Video marketing is probably the best tool you can have in your arsenal when it comes to marketing on the internet. Your videos have got to be special and attention grabbing otherwise don’t even bother because you won’t stand a chance.

10. Day 21: Three weeks already | my 8 week challenge said on September 1st, 2010 at 12:08 am

[…] that it would be easy to do. In fact I went to his blog and read the most recent article about converting to Mac .MOV files. His opening sentence sums it up: In case you haven’t noticed, all of the big internet marketers […]

What do you think? Join the discussion...
How do I change my avatar?
Go to gravatar.com and upload your preferred avatar.