dk or Purpose Inc Appeared In:

September 21 2010

Roots

Written by / Posted in internet crew / 37 Comments

Roots. When it comes to referrals or networking, in my organizations we talk a lot about roots. If a patient comes into our office, who was referred by someone, we check our records to see how that person came into our office. If it was another referral, we keep tracking backwards until we get to a basic person who came in through one of our marketing techniques. The marketing method that originally brought the first person in on a chain is called a root.

If you watched my networking videos you saw that around 90% of the people I know in the industry started off with a referral from Shoemoney as the root. (Shoemoney’s true root was the poker tournament but has become a root all his own).

What you may not know, is that probably half of the people I met through Shoemoney, including facebook, started with an introduction from Shoemoney at his Elite Retreat. The Elite Retreat is 30 of the top internet businessmen from around the world, and has the crème de la crème of the industry as speakers.

These are not speakers in the usual sense where they just blab and blab, but instead lead discussions that in the past have been followed by individual consultations by the experts.

The Elite Retreat is where I first met Aaron Wall who has been my go to guy for SEO. I also met about 25% of the guys who come to thinktank as a result of the Elite Retreat. It is just head and shoulders above the industry conferences that exist. The contacts I have made there have proven massively helpful.

The Elite Retreat is not on sale yet, but I expect it to sell out quite quickly. At least a dozen times at thinktank I was asked by people if there was going to be an Elite Retreat this year. I kept answering that I thought Shoemoney was just too busy to put it on, but obviously I was wrong 🙂  30 spots. Chance of a life time. Sign up here to stay posted.

I am just saying.

1. Sebastian Marshall said on September 21st, 2010 at 4:08 am

Hey DK,

I did watch your videos – thanks for those, really magnificent stuff. I got Filemaker Pro on your recommendation, and it seems really good. I’ve needed something like this for a while.

Can I ask what kind of template you use? Custom? Contact Management and People Management both didn’t seem quite right for tracking getting in touch with people, connecting, etc. Any thoughts would be very be welcome.

Much gratitude and best wishes,

Sebastian

2. purposeinc said on September 21st, 2010 at 12:06 pm

@Sebastian Marshall:
    Thanks Sebastian. None of their templates worked well for this, so I started from a blank page. Find some video training on it, and it shouldn’t take you very many hours to see how it works.

3. Rob said on September 21st, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Wow, its amazing to look back through the records and see just how many people a root has spawned to a location. I’m going to have to start keeping better track of my records and give them some kind of perk for drawing so many people in.

4. Samara said on September 22nd, 2010 at 7:44 pm

The Elite Retreat sounds like a great event. I haven’t seen your videos, but I will have to look them up.

5. EmilyFlo said on September 23rd, 2010 at 12:17 am

After seeing all these comments, I will have to check out your videos. “Roots” is such an interesting method for explaining this cycle. Elite Retreat is going to be amazing!

6. Katelyn said on September 23rd, 2010 at 4:35 pm

This post is full of great advice. If we could all remember that roots are the key to great business, we could all make a lot more money in life!

7. Mike Salvaggio said on September 24th, 2010 at 8:07 am

DK,

Couldn’t agree more. I have one root that spawned at least 50 contracts. Its the way the company was built upon — strong roots.

Much Love : )

Mike

8. calvin said on September 24th, 2010 at 2:47 pm

wow. i never knew this before. Thanks, i just learned a new term today. Roots! And i also think its very interesting.

9. Brian | i-Blogger said on September 25th, 2010 at 1:17 am

Whether it’s family or business, roots are important – A tree is only as strong as it’s roots. That’s my analogy for the day, I hope you like it.

Take care,

Brian M Connole

10. Donna said on September 25th, 2010 at 5:48 am

I agree with brain no matter who there should never be no favortism all for one and one for all it just makes the world go around better

11. Goran P said on September 25th, 2010 at 5:50 am

Thanks for posting your interesting information. Getting to the root and using it has been talked about recently lateley. I see it’s going around, and you feel the same way.

12. Raindance said on September 25th, 2010 at 10:50 am

I’ve learned so much from your “roots” theory and have used it in my business to GREAT results. Thanks very much for sharing it with us.

13. Samuel Handwich said on September 26th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

The value of networking really can’t be underestimated. Finding base contacts through whatever means you can is always a good time investment. Just a few minutes a day can land your company an “in” in another building by keeping acquaintances informed.

14. Karen said on September 27th, 2010 at 10:48 am

Roots is all about growing which paves the way for prosperity and often reveals a great future. The purpose of having roots, strong roots of course, is too expand.

15. Krystal Howell said on September 27th, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I agree with you 100%. I suggested to my friend that she watch one of your videos. You’ve helped her out a lot.

16. TheFrogPrince&Family said on September 28th, 2010 at 8:23 am

If you want to build up without toppling over, you need a strong foundation, that’s common sense in any realm of activity from nature’s growing of trees to an architect’s blueprinting of a tower, and it’s true for business. Thinking in terms of roots is incredibly useful, because it helps you keep contacts, make new contacts, AND not have to waste resources constantly trying to figure out how best go about it. It sounds like you’ve found quite a taproot there, and I’d love to get in on what it pulls up.

17. Peter W said on September 28th, 2010 at 10:41 am

Thinktank is great! I hope there is an Elite Retreat.

18. akirajade said on September 29th, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Its so crazy how we can trace everything back, even stuff that’s business related! It can really be a way to reimburse the original referrals.

19. TekCrunch said on September 30th, 2010 at 10:47 am

Do you do much work with affiliate marketing links so you can track users back to their sites? I wonder if there’s a way to survey people casually so they can let you know how they heard about the site, especially in word-of-mouth cases.

20. Ihnatiuc Luigi said on October 1st, 2010 at 2:42 pm

It’s amazing. I never knew that someone actually kept score of all the refferals, all the way back to the first one. Every business’ got to start somewhere, huh ? And this Elite Retreat thing sounds really intriguing.

21. PatB said on October 1st, 2010 at 3:56 pm

its always impressive how quickly you can build a system of contacts through just a few roots. And its why you always have to be looking to expand your networks!

22. Cara said on October 2nd, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Roots are defintely the root of all great businesses! It’s also the sign of an honest business 😉

23. Lindsey said on October 3rd, 2010 at 12:43 pm

This is a really interesting take on networking. Frankly I tend to think more about ‘branches’ rather than ‘roots’ I haven’t watched your videos yet, but now I will be sure to.

24. YamiTyger said on October 4th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Its the same in construction, as it is in building a good business, or anything else. Without a strong foundation it topples over and you’ve lost everything you’ve worked at

25. Johnny said on October 4th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

wow! roots are interesting, I would definitely be interested in signing up for this elite retreat. any tips. is this just limited to certain types of businesses? and what is the significance of tracing roots? sorry is the questions might be too much. Just interested learning more about roots from what seems to be a good source.

26. Miaculpa said on October 4th, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Yes, watched your videos, too and I agree with Sebastian, great stuff there.
    It’s almost mind-boggling when you think of how much one root has spawned, dontcha think?

27. lynn787 said on October 5th, 2010 at 3:21 am

Roots are def the key to building all businesses. … Only 30 spots. Damn. I’m sure they are all filled up already. Well good luck

28. mridul said on October 6th, 2010 at 5:15 am

@purposeinc
    Nice blog post. It realizes us once again that without a root, a tree is nothing.
    I agree with you

29. disuja said on October 6th, 2010 at 5:22 am

I have read all information about Roots through this blog post this information is really very helpful for me thanks for posting your interesting & helpful information.

30. liljameswow said on October 6th, 2010 at 7:40 am

That’s a pretty fancy technique although I don’t know if I necessarily have the organizational tendencies to find a “root”. Who knows, maybe one day I will be a true master.

31. jeremy said on October 6th, 2010 at 8:23 am

refferals i reffered to my freind to watch one of your posted videos. and quite frankly with all due respect she did not quite like it

32. TekCrunch said on October 6th, 2010 at 9:21 am

Would you consider running a second group the following weekend? With only 30 spots it sounds like there is a lot more demand than you’ll be able to accommodate. What are the facilities like?

33. PatB said on October 6th, 2010 at 9:40 am

I would also be interested in another group. I think this would be a great program to get in on!

34. Zakiya Loftin said on October 6th, 2010 at 11:01 am

It’s amazing how you can track evrything back to its origin. Of course, if you live in america, it takes away our 4th amendment right

35. HmR said on October 10th, 2010 at 2:02 am

Word of mouth has always been one of the best advertising. Now the mouth just happens to be the internet-comments and links and likes on FB and other networking sites. I am not a people person, so I will probably never network efficiently to prosper from it, but for now I am okay with that. When it becomes necessary though I will definitely look into some of the marketing methods you have talked about on your blog.

@Zokiya–Tracing things back to their origins is not a breech of the 4th amendment. If you give your information to a company, and tell them that “Joe” referred you, and the company looks at THEIR information on “Joe” and sees who referred him–it is all information that was willingly given to the company. Anything you find that is public record or that was put onto a social networking site etc, is all available to everyone.

36. Carl said on October 25th, 2010 at 7:34 am

This is very interesting. I like your take on business networking.

37. Yawilda said on October 26th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Roots are definitely important, they help us remember how we meet so many people. Going to a retreat like that was a good move on your part.

What do you think? Join the discussion...
How do I change my avatar?
Go to gravatar.com and upload your preferred avatar.